Being a Remote Nomad while staying productive

Hey Nomads!

I’ve never actually done the whole travelling/working thing, but it seems to be something that many people do and love.

If you’ve done this, what are some keys to your success? Anything that people often overlook that can be helpful in being productive while enjoying the “Remote Nomad” Lifestyle? Or any tips at all for a Nomad newbie?

Thanks!

I’ve done a lot of “working from the road” and, being in the travel industry, know and work with a lot of nomads. If you’ve already worked remotely from home or a coworking space, you have a great head start.

A few additional notes for working while traveling:

1. Good wifi matters. If you’re staying in Airbnbs, ask the host to do a speed test. If you’re staying in a hotel, check reviews.
  2. Travel slowly so that you don’t get burnt out. Many first time nomads want to see everything and move super fast. Don’t.

Post-pandemic, consider short-term coworking memberships wherever you’re staying. Most places will give you a weekly/monthly deal. Coworking is a good way to get out of your Airbnb, find events (at the coworking space), and meet locals and fellow expats.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks @fredperrotta

The burn our thing is interesting. Did you find you typically stayed in one area for a specific amount of time before moving on? Or is it mostly a feel thing…

Mostly feel. But if you’re switching cities/countries every week, the “overhead” of that will quickly swamp everything else you’re trying to do.

Think about time/city relative to the overall trip. For example, I did a six week trip where I stayed in three places for two weeks each. If my trip was six months, I probably couldn’t have kept up that pace. If you’re traveling for 6+ months, I’d aim to stay in each place for at least a month. If you hate it, leave early. Otherwise, stay, get a deeper experience of the place, then move on when you’re ready.

Hey Matt,

Here are a couple tips. I’ve just published a book I’ve written specifically for your use case which covers most everything.

• Get a laptop stand, mouse, and keyboard. This will reduce work fatigue if you’re used to having a monitor
  • Like @fredperrotta mentioned, don’t move around too much. I recommend 1 month in one place because you can also negotiate airbnb monthly terms easily with this time period.
  • Develop a work routine. This way, you can get used to a pattern so you decrease fatigue.
  • Facebook Groups are excellent for quickly being able to socialize with folks. Loneliness happens when traveling alone, so be cognizant of this. Meetup.com is good too.
  • Be cognizant of timezones. This is an obvious one, but one that folks gloss over. It’s totally doable to work non 9-5 hours, just know how to build it into your daily routine.
  • Stay at coliving spaces with cowork spaces to quickly be imbedded in social communities with similar professionals and have a workspace to work from, like Outsite.co (https://app.outsite.co/c/NGXR6RVC)

If these have been helpful, feel free to explore the book. Hope that helps @MattHollingsworth!

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you. The 1 month minimum is kinda what I assumed would be necessary. You hear all the time about people moving around a lot, but I always thought that would be distracting.

Thanks for the meetup.com suggestion, I’ve never hear of that before!

Thanks again @eatmorespinach!