How can I tell if a remote company I’m applying to is legitimate?

I’ve experienced this before on other job boards and found that the job I was applying to wasn’t exactly legitimate. What would you tell other remote workers to look out for? Share your best tips here.

Well, if they are in tech check their work, is their github profile empty?

@spc2582 - That’s a great question. I definitely think that’s the first place to check. Depends on the type of company for sure.

Thanks to the Internet, there are many ways to check the legitimacy of an organization online. Some of them being:

1. Their website: It should tell you a lot about the kind of work they do and the clients they deal with. The overall look and feel of a website can also be a preliminary check, though keep in mind that a poorly managed website does not necessarily link to fraudulent behavior and vice versa.
  2. Their LinkedIn or Twitter page can also provide information about their recent activities.
  3. Websites like Glassdoor maintain a record of all their reviews and ratings.
  4. References: A little digging can get you the contact details of the HR team or an employee from the organization being verified.

@Springworks Yes! You’re spot on with all of this. Those are all great places to cross reference. Anything off in one of those areas is a good indication of a red flag. Thanks for sharing! This info is helpful.