If you had a friend who was considering turning into a remote worker, what would you tell them they should be aware of before taking the leap?

Would you recommend remote work to a friend? If so, what advice would you give them? I’d love to hear about it – let me know below.

Great question, as I think it is important to explore what it means to work from home versus in the office.
The first things that come to my mind are the following:

• Schedule your day.
    Just like in the office, a clear structure makes working and meeting deadlines easier.

• Discuss working from home with family members living with you.
    Just because you are at home, it doesn’t mean you are available all the time. Of course, it is nice to be able to help out once here and there, but everyone involved should know you are indeed working and don’t just stay home for fun.

• Stay connected with your team members.
    It is easy to feel a bit isolated and online meetings can feel draining. Engaged teams and productive meetings on the other hand are a great boost to your commitment.

• Take breaks regularly to refresh your mind.
    Walk (ideally outside) and move your body. Your back will thank you :slight_smile:

@Daikon - These are all great points and so true! Those are definitely the most common pitfalls and ones people should be aware of early on. Thank you for sharing!

Awesome question, I would definitely recommend remote work to a friend with the following cautions:

1. Don’t let your office take over your home. It gets easy to forget about your office hours and you might end up neglecting other things.

2. Keeping yourself engaged might get harder with time and you might get distracted easily. So try to keep yourself engaged and motivated.

3. When you take breaks, make sure you are not doing any other household chores, take dedicated time to relax, and enjoy some time away from the screens.

@Springworks - Yesss! Another great answer. I totally agree with all of these but especially that last one. Getting sucked into other chores can quickly zap your energy and make it harder to get back to work. Thank you again for such a helpful response!